Saturday, March 22, 2014

Surviving Pregnancy In Summer

I'm on my third pregnancy and once again I will be hitting my largest during the hottest parts of the year. Summer in the South can be excruciatingly hot and being pregnant it is especially important to take care of yourself and your little one during that time. Besides the obvious "stay inside, push fluids", there are a few things that always help me through those hot months! I thought I'd share some of my summer "must haves" for pregnancy. 


1. Maternity Capris/Cropped pants -
I am never very comfortable in the warmer months wearing full length pants, and especially not when pregnant. I also have a hard time finding maternity shorts that are comfortable and well fitted. I've found that capris and cropped pants are so much easier to find, and although still somewhat long, that little bit of length cut off makes a huge difference. I usually pair these with flip flops and a comfortable tank or sleeveless top. It helps tremendously in beating the heat!
(Cropped jeans pictured are from Motherhood Maternity)

2. Maternity Swim Suit- 
One great way to get through those hot summer days is by going for a swim. It feels absolutely amazing for those painful joints and muscles, and it is such a great way for you and baby to cool off quickly. I like tankinis because (for me) they are more comfortable getting on and off, and there are usually quite a few styles available that can work for most any body type.
(Bathing suit pictured is from Old Navy Maternity)

3. Maternity Nightgown-
I really appreciate comfort during pregnancy (is it obvious yet?), and there is nothing like a soft nightgown to make sleep more soothing (assuming you're still able to sleep at that point). When the days are extremely hot, the nights typically are as well and I try my best to keep clothing as light as possible for nighttime. This particular gown is perfect for pregnancy and postpartum wear.
(Nightgown from Motherhood Maternity)

4. Maternity Maxi Dress-
Dresses can be an excellent way to manage the summer heat. I am a big fan of the maternity maxi trend because they are typically very comfortable and can work for a variety of occasions. When pants are just no longer comfortable, dresses can be a great escape. I like maxi dresses in particular because I feel more comfortable in them once my ankles and legs swell during the final weeks/months. It is nice to be able to conceal that and still feel confident and comfortable.
(Dress pictured is from Old Navy Maternity)

5. Comfortable Flip Flops/Footwear-
I saved this for last but honestly I feel as though this may be the most important item on my list. For me, it is absolutely crucial to have comfortable footwear during pregnancy, particularly during the summer months. The more support you have under your soles, the better. It helps tremendously with back pain and ankle swelling/pain. It has taken me a long time to find flip flops that I felt were comfortable enough for everyday wear during pregnancy. These Sanuk flip flops have yoga mat soles and are absolutely heavenly. My back aches so much less when I wear these, and the squishy soles are much more comfortable than any other pair I have tried. For me, these are a MUST.
(Flip flops - Sanuk)

So there you have it! These are my maternity "musts" for pregnancy in the summer!
What are your "musts"?









*Please note: the opinions expressed in this post are solely my own. I was not compensated in any way by the above mentioned companies. Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment