Sunday, March 23, 2014

Simple Twig & Floral Wreath {D.I.Y}

One of my favorite quick do it yourself projects for my home is creating wreaths for our front entrance. I typically have one for every holiday and a few for the months in between. I've always found wreath making to be fairly simple and inexpensive. The wreaths I make are usually very uncomplicated and something I think just about anyone can do with the right materials and a little bit of time (and sometimes practice). 

This wreath is one of my "go to" wreaths. It has minimal materials and the steps involved are simple. It only took me about 10 minutes to assemble this wreath and for total materials I believe I spent around $15.



Materials you will need (all materials featured were purchased at Hobby Lobby):

* 1 Twig/Vine wreath, size medium 
* 1 Spool of burlap wired ribbon (mine has a slight gold sparkle to it, I found it near the wire wreaths in the craft section).
* 2 Large floral stems of your choice (I opted for two large hydrangeas in a muted green tone)
* Floral wire

-Step 1 : The first thing I did was wrap my ribbon tightly around my wreath. I wasn't too particular in this step. I just kind of went at a diagonal and wound around until I had completed the circle. I tied the end piece into the twigs to secure it. I just made sure to do this on the backside where it is not visible.

-Step 2 : Next I created a burlap bow for the top of my wreath. I tied my bow under the ribbon that I had already wound around the wreath to secure it. You can also use floral wire to secure your bow to your wreath. My bow was just a very basic bow as you can see. Nothing fancy.

-Step 3 : I snipped my floral stems a few inches back from the flower using regular scissors (you can also use wire cutters but I found it wasn't necessary this time). I then tucked my stems into the wreath on the lower left corner. I made sure they were well hidden behind the burlap and tucked nicely into the twigs. I find that usually just tucking and threading that stem can be enough to secure the flowers but if you feel that they may come loose this is when you will want to use your floral wire. Snip a tiny bit of wire and use it to wrap the stem into the twig wreath for extra security. Just make sure to conceal the wire so it isn't visible. 

-Step 4 : I cut a few leafs from my stems and arranged them into my wreath as you can see. I just arranged them how I thought they looked best. Again, you can secure them with floral wire if you feel that is necessary. My wreath hangs on a covered porch and it doesn't get moved very much so I did not use the floral wire this time. The stems and leaves felt secure on their own.

That is ALL! Stand back and admire your pretty new wreath! This wreath is SO incredibly simple. You can use any ribbon or floral stems that you prefer for a wide variety of looks. This is my "go to" quick wreath that I use when I want to quickly change it up and spruce up my front door. 

Happy wreath making!


* I am linking up this post for the Inspire Me Please Weekend Blog Hop via House of Rose. Check it out! *

No comments:

Post a Comment